What is League of Legends
League of Legends, commonly known as LoL, is an epic multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game developed by Riot Games. If you’re a gaming enthusiast, chances are you’ve already heard of this iconic title that has been ruling the gaming world for over a decade. Launched on October 27, 2009, LoL quickly became a sensation, captivating millions of players worldwide.
In LoL, you join a team of five players and jump into the thrilling Summoner’s Rift. Each player controls a unique and powerful character called a “champion,” and it’s your job to strategize, develop your champion’s skills, make wise item choices, and engage in intense team battles. The goal is simple yet exhilarating: crush the enemy team and destroy their Nexus to secure victory!
The game’s success goes beyond its core experience, as Riot Games has expanded the League of Legends universe, known as Runeterra, in various exciting ways. Whether it’s the mobile-friendly version called “League of Legends: Wild Rift,” captivating animated series like “Arcane,” immersive lore, exciting books, or an impressive array of merchandise, Riot Games continues to add depth and excitement to the League of Legends universe.
How to Play in League of Legends
Now, let’s dive into the thrilling world of League of Legends and get you ready for action!
- Choose Your Champion: In LoL, you get to select a champion that resonates with your playstyle. Each champion comes with unique abilities and characteristics, so take your time exploring different champions to find the one that feels just right for you.
- Summoner’s Rift: The most popular battleground in League of Legends is Summoner’s Rift, where teams face off to dominate and claim victory. During the game, your team will engage in various tasks, including taking down computer-controlled minions, demolishing turrets guarding your base, and eliminating enemy champions.
- Gold and Power Up: As you progress in the game, you’ll earn gold from completing objectives. Use this gold wisely to purchase powerful items that boost your champion’s abilities and enhance your team’s control over the game.
- Team Coordination: League of Legends is all about teamwork and coordination. Communication with your team is essential for devising strategies, ganging up on opponents, and making decisive plays. Teamwork makes the dream work!
- Secure Victory: The ultimate goal is to break through the enemy team’s defenses, reach their Nexus, and deal the final blow. Once you’ve shattered their Nexus, your team secures a hard-fought victory and earns well-deserved bragging rights.
Game Modes in League of Legends
League of Legends offers a diverse array of game modes to keep players engaged and entertained. Let’s take a quick look at some of the most popular modes:
- Normal Game: A casual and non-ranked PvP queue on Summoner’s Rift, where players can choose champions from their collection or the weekly free rotation. It’s perfect for honing your skills and trying out different strategies.
- Ranked Solo/Duo: The competitive PvP queue for those seeking a challenge. In ranked games, players must use champions they own and have at least 20 champions in their collection. Climbing the ranked ladder requires skill, determination, and a little bit of luck!
- ARAM (All Random, All Mid): In this fun-filled mode, teams battle it out on the Howling Abyss in a 5v5 format. Each player gets a random champion, and the goal is to destroy the enemy Nexus. Quick and chaotic, ARAM is a blast to play with friends.
- Co-op vs. AI: Not in the mood for PvP? Team up with friends or random players and face off against computer-controlled champions, also known as bots. It’s a great way to practice, try out new champions, or simply unwind.
- Tutorial: If you’re new to League of Legends, fear not! The Tutorial mode will guide you through the basics and more complex aspects of the game. You’ll face bots as allies and enemies to ease you into the action.
- Teamfight Tactics (TFT): TFT is an auto battler game mode separate from the main League of Legends. In TFT, eight players strategize and compete against each other with their auto-controlled champions, like a hands-off game of chess.
League of Legends boasts an impressive roster of champions, each with its own unique abilities, playstyles, and personalities. Before the start of every match, players get to choose from this vast pool of over 160 playable characters, allowing for endless strategic possibilities. As of July 19, 2023, there are currently 164 released champions in the game, and the developers at Riot Games are continuously working to keep the roster fresh and exciting.
The champions in League of Legends are not just your typical warriors; they range from humanoid characters to fantastical creatures, ensuring there’s a champion to suit every player’s taste. Some champions are nimble assassins, striking swiftly from the shadows, while others are tanky bruisers, ready to endure and soak up damage for their team. Whether you prefer ranged mages, mighty tanks, or cunning marksmen, the champion pool has got you covered.
League of Legends Esport
Welcome to the thrilling world of League of Legends Esport! If you thought playing the game was intense, wait till you witness the mind-blowing competitive scene. It’s not just about casual matches with friends anymore; it’s all about skill, strategy, and the heart-pounding rush of victory. Here are some fascinating insights into the League of Legends Esport universe:
- World Championships The League of Legends World Championship, also known as LOLWC, is the grand showdown hosted by Riot Games each year. Teams from around the globe battle it out for the prestigious title, the awe-inspiring 70-pound Summoner’s Cup, and a jaw-dropping $1 million championship check. The popularity of the championship is through the roof, with millions of fans tuning in each year to witness the spectacle.
- MSI – Mid-Season Invitational The MSI is another highlight in the League of Legends Esport calendar. Taking place annually since 2015, it marks the midway point of the season. The champions from the Spring Split in each major region come together to compete, along with a wildcard team from a lesser-known region. The MSI is a fierce competition that showcases the best of the best, building excitement and anticipation for the World Championship later in the year.
Best Players in League of Legends
In the vast ocean of talented players, a few rise above the rest, becoming legends in their own right. Here are three players who have left an indelible mark on the world of League of Legends:
Faker – LCK – T1
Lee “Faker” Sanghyeok is the unparalleled genius of League of Legends. Often hailed as the “Unkillable Demon King,” his mechanical prowess and game sense are unparalleled. There’s no denying that Faker’s skills have earned him the top spot on this list.
Rookie – LPL – Victory Five
Rookie’s journey to fame started with impressive performances in Solo Queue. With a vast champion pool and exceptional team fighting abilities, Rookie quickly made a name for himself. During the 2018 LoL World Championship, he dominated the competition, solidifying his status as one of the world’s best mid laners.
Canyon – LCK – DAMWON KIA
Canyon’s rise to greatness has been nothing short of spectacular. Within just four years of playing in the LCK, he became one of the most revered junglers. With his skill and determination, he played a pivotal role in leading DAMWON KIA to victory in the 2020 World Championship.
Interesting facts about League of Legends
Now, let’s dive into some captivating tidbits and behind-the-scenes secrets of League of Legends:
- Singed, the Alchemist Extraordinaire Did you know that Singed, the Mad Alchemist of Zaun, played a role in the creation of several other champions? He had a hand in pushing Zed towards darkness and created Warwick, the terrifying werewolf. Additionally, Singed’s alchemical devastation of Ionia indirectly impacted Irelia’s origins.
- Leona and Sunglasses In the past, League of Legends embraced a more lighthearted approach. Leona, the radiant champion who draws power from sunlight, used to deal 1 damage less to champions wearing sunglasses. A fun and quirky detail that shows Riot Games’ playful side!
- Tyler “tyler1” Steinkamp – The Reigning Streamer Tyler “tyler1” Steinkamp holds the title of the most-watched League of Legends streamer worldwide, boasting an impressive following of over 5 million on Twitch. His entertaining streams have captured the hearts of millions of fans, and his charisma is simply unmatched.
- Aatrox’s Inspirations from Lord of the Rings Aatrox’s animations were brought to life with inspiration from the mighty Balrog and the dark lord Sauron from the iconic Lord of the Rings series. The connections between the gaming world and pop culture are endless!
- Heimerdinger and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy The brilliant inventor, Heimerdinger, drops a reference to Douglas Adams’ sci-fi classic, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, when he muses about the number 42. Gamers love when their favorite champions have little nods to other beloved works of fiction!
- The Dark Lore of Warwick’s Urfwick Skin. The Urfwick Skin has a haunting story behind it, delving into the tragic tale of Urf, the creature that once roamed Summoner’s Rift. After a brutal and horrifying murder, Urf’s skin became a gruesome trophy for the killer, Warwick, adding a chilling layer of lore to the game.