Hey there, fellow summoners! Today, we’re diving into the world of Galio, the colossal stone guardian of the League of Legends. This tanky titan was released back in August 2010, and since then, he’s been causing ripples in the rift as a tanky support and mid-lane champ. So, why am I itching to review this champion, you ask? Well, Galio has recently climbed up my list of favorites. Initially, I took him to the bot lane, but when I realized his anti-mage prowess, I knew he was my go-to choice against those AP-heavy squads. Think of him as the Rammus of the magical world!
Outside the Great City of Demacia, the stone colossus Galio keeps a watchful eye. Crafted as a guardian against enemy mages, he stands motionless for decades until powerful magic stirs him to life. Once activated, Galio revels in the thrill of battle and the honor of defending his countrymen. However, his victories come with a cost, as the magic he destroys fuels his reanimation, leaving him dormant once more.
Galio’s appearance is that of a muscular gargoyle, adorned with wing motifs reminiscent of Demacia’s early years. His body, primarily petricite, exudes a white marble-like elegance, accented with gold elements that bestow him with a regal aura. Active Galio is a cheerful protector, ever eager to assist those in need, though he doesn’t hold mages in high regard due to his frequent encounters with opposing magical forces.
Now, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of Galio’s abilities:
- Passive – Colossal Smash: Galio’s basic attacks deal bonus magic damage in an area every few seconds.
- Q – Winds of War: Galio hurls two windblasts that merge into a damaging tornado.
- W – Shield of Durand: Galio adopts a defensive stance, taunting and damaging nearby foes when he releases the charge.
- E – Justice Punch: Galio steps back briefly, charging forward to knock up the first enemy champion he encounters.
- R – Hero’s Entrance: Galio designates an ally’s position for his landing spot, granting all allies in the area a magic shield. After a delay, he smashes down at the location, knocking up nearby enemies.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Champion
- Galio excels as an anti-mage champion, making life difficult for most spellcasters.
- His Shield of Durand can mitigate considerable magic damage.
- Boasting AoE damage and crowd control, he’s a teamfight powerhouse.
- Great wave-clear thanks to Winds of War and Colossal Smash.
- Sets up ganks effectively with Justice Punch and Shield of Durand.
- Excellent at roaming with Hero’s Entrance.
- Tough to kill once he gets a few items under his belt.
- Thrives in teamfights.
- Often underestimated and rarely banned.
- Can be poked down relatively easily.
- Mana-hungry early if you spam abilities.
- Struggles against AD champions.
- Missing Justice Punch can cost you trades.
- Vulnerable when abilities are on cooldown.
- Hero’s Entrance can only target an ally champion.
- Can be ineffective if he falls behind.
- Scaling isn’t the strongest in the late game.
- Remains an unpopular pick in the League.
Best Items for Galio
- Warmog’s Armor: This is hands down one of the best items for sustaining as Galio. In my games, I swear by it. Sure, damage is essential, but surviving the fight is just as crucial. Imagine having the power to obliterate an entire enemy team, boasting 4000+ HP, and the ability to reach full health just by stepping out of combat for a few seconds. Plus, if you grab a Blue elixir or blue buff, you’ll have high mana regeneration, keeping you at full health and mana throughout the fight. Outdamaging and outlasting any opponent, no matter how powerful they think they are!
- Rabadon’s Deathcap: Once you’ve got all the magic penetration items in place, it’s time to think about damage. This one’s worth considering, especially late-game. It’ll skyrocket your damage output to the absolute max. Picture this: obliterating any target, whether it’s a full tank or a sneaky assassin. Nothing will survive your wrath now!
- Morellonomicon: This item offers AP, HP, and an important effect that your team will love—grievous wounds. It significantly reduces any enemy healing effects (plus regeneration effects). It’s a potent choice, especially if your teammates haven’t grabbed an item with this stat!
Best Lanes and Roles for Champion
Galio is a force to be reckoned with in the mid lane. He’s a popular choice in League for his amphibian-themed abilities that perfectly complement the Assassin playstyle. Now, if you’re a newbie, mastering Galio might be a challenge, but for those with some League experience under their belts, his speed and versatility can systematically take down other champions. Galio’s abilities are all about redirection and misdirection, confusing your opponents and turning the tide of battle.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Alright, let’s talk matchups. Galio excels in the mid lane against Corki and Akali. These guys better watch out! However, Swain and Ziggs are Galio’s worst nightmare, so steer clear of them if you want to stay in the game.
Price of this Champion in 2023
You might be wondering how much it’ll cost you to add Galio to your champion roster in 2023. Well, the price tag for this colossal protector is 3150 Blue Essence or 790 Riot Points.
Galio, my friends, is a tanky anti-mage champion who shines against those pesky magic wielders. His Shield of Durand lets him soak up magical damage like a champ. With excellent wave-clear from Winds of War and Colossal Smash, he’s a potent pusher, forcing enemies to farm under their tower. His gank setup, thanks to Justice Punch and Shield of Durand, will make foes either flee in fear or meet their doom. And that ultimate, Hero’s Entrance, turns him into the ultimate roaming champion, ready to join the fray at a moment’s notice.
Best Guide for Galio in 2023
Looking for a top-notch guide to master Galio in 2023? Well, I’ve got just the one for you. Check out this comprehensive guide:Galio Guide.
Best Skins for this Champion
Let’s talk skins. Galio has seen his fair share of wardrobe changes over the years. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the best ones:
- Hextech Galio (520 RP, August 2010): A low-cost option with a so-so character model and a somewhat clunky appearance.
- Debonair Galio (750 RP, April 2015): Transforms Galio into a stylish stone gentleman with minor visual effects.
- Commando Galio (520 RP, January 2011): A Demacian soldier-themed look with a beard, offering a familiar appearance with no major changes.
- Enchanted Galio (520 RP, August 2010): Gives Galio a cosmic vibe with blue and black designs and some neat particle effects.
- Infernal Galio (1350 RP, September 2019): A well-executed skin with a consistent fire theme, impressive character model, and a unique backing animation.
- Birdio (975 RP, March 2018): A humorous skin with a chicken-themed twist, including abilities, sounds, and animations.
- Gatekeeper Galio (1820 RP, April 2012): Transforms Galio into a terrifying demon lord with original features, new voice lines, and unique animations.
- Dragon Guardian Galio (1350 RP, April 2021): A mystical dragon-griffin hybrid skin with an impressive character design, ability animations, and a fitting theme for Galio as a protector.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Now, let’s wrap it up with some fun tidbits about our stone protector, Galio:
- The name Galio might just be inspired by Galileo, the Renaissance polymath.
- Galileo means “man of Galilee,” ultimately stemming from the Semitic root “g-l,” meaning “to roll.”
- Galio’s dance is a nod to Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
- Always remember, play conservatively until you hit level 6. Galio’s Hero’s Entrance is pure utility and shines in teamfights.
- Use your abilities to push the wave quickly before roaming with Hero’s Entrance.
- If you set up your jungler for ganks, push the wave towards your tower.
And there you have it, summoners! Galio, the guardian of Demacia, is a force to be reckoned with, whether you’re in the mid lane, support role, or anywhere in between. So gear up, master those abilities, and charge into battle with the colossus!
What are Galio’s strengths and weaknesses in League of Legends?
Strengths: Galio excels as an anti-mage champion, has strong crowd control and AoE damage, is great at roaming with his ultimate, and becomes very durable with certain items.
Weaknesses: He can be poked down easily, struggles against AD champions, and is vulnerable when his abilities are on cooldown.
Where is the best lane and role to play Galio in League of Legends?
Galio is most effective in the mid lane, where he can counter AP-heavy opponents and roam with his ultimate.
What are some recommended items for Galio in 2023?
Key items for Galio include Warmog’s Armor for sustain, Rabadon’s Deathcap for damage, and Morellonomicon for grievous wounds against healers.
Which champions are good matchups for Galio, and which ones should you avoid?
Galio performs well against Corki and Akali but struggles against Swain and Ziggs, so avoid those matchups.
How much does Galio cost in 2023, and are there any noteworthy skins for him?
Galio’s price is 3150 Blue Essence or 790 Riot Points. Some notable skins include Infernal Galio, Gatekeeper Galio, and Dragon Guardian Galio.