Hey there, fellow gamers! Today, we’re diving deep into the shadows with one of the most electrifying champions League of Legends has to offer – Zed. This assassin extraordinaire burst onto the Rift on November 13, 2012, and he’s been causing chaos ever since. Zed belongs to the Assassin class, and he’s the brainchild behind the Order of Shadow, a group aiming to harness Ionia’s magical and martial prowess to fend off Noxian invaders. So, let’s cut to the chase and uncover all the secrets of this shadowy champion.
Picture this: a ruthless, merciless leader named Zed at the helm of the Order of Shadow. This group was his brainchild, aimed at using Ionia’s magical and martial traditions to repel Noxian invaders. In his quest for power, Zed stumbled upon the enigmatic shadow form, a potent but malevolent magic. He’s now a master of these forbidden arts, determined to obliterate anything that threatens his nation or his newfound order. Betrayal, sacrifice, and a thirst for power – Zed’s lore is as dark and intriguing as his shadowy abilities.
Now, let’s break down the nitty-gritty of Zed’s abilities:
Passive – Contempt for the Weak: Zed’s basic attacks deal bonus Magic Damage to low-health targets, but this effect can only occur once every few seconds on the same enemy champion.
Q – Razor Shuriken: Zed and his shadows unleash a barrage of shurikens, dealing damage to all enemies hit.
W – Living Shadow: With the passive, Zed gains energy when he and his shadows strike an enemy with the same ability. Actively, Zed’s shadow dashes forward, staying put for a few seconds. Reactivate this skill, and Zed swaps positions with his shadow.
E – Shadow Slash: Zed and his shadows perform a slashing move, damaging nearby enemies and slowing those hit by a shadow’s slash.
R – Death Mark: Zed goes untargetable and dashes towards an enemy champion, marking them. After 3 seconds, the mark triggers, repeating a portion of all the damage Zed dealt while the target was marked. Talk about high-risk, high-reward!
Best Items for Champion
Alright, let’s gear up Zed for the ultimate shadowy showdown:
Long Sword + Three Health Potions: Kick things off with the Long Sword, which will eventually evolve into your core items like Serrated Dirk or Caulfield’s Warhammer. It’s the go-to starting item for maximum damage potential.
Doran’s Shield + Health Potion: If you’re up against pesky poke-reliant champions like Zoe or Jayce, consider starting with Doran’s Shield for added sustain.
Duskblade of Draktharr: Rush this bad boy for a burst of damage and the ability to escape or secure more kills. Pair it up with Axiom Arc for some fantastic ability haste and snowball potential.
Youmuu’s Ghostblade: While it’s not the top rush item anymore, it still offers movement speed and ability haste. Axiom Arc can be a game-changer for ultimate cooldown reduction.
Plated Steelcaps: Grab these when facing auto-attack reliant champions like Master Yi, Tryndamere, or Jax, or when you’re up against an all-AD team.
Mercury’s Treads: Opt for these against heavy AP champions or teams with loads of crowd control. Those tenacity stats are a lifesaver.
Black Cleaver: Consider this if you’re dealing with tanky foes and need some armor reduction. Eclipse + Black Cleaver can be a deadly combo against tank-heavy teams.
Axiom Arc: This item is a game-changer. Kill four opponents, and your Death Mark will be back up. Perfect for those squishy matchups or when you’re ahead.
Edge of Night: After building Serylda’s Grudge or Ravenous Hydra, Edge of Night can help you negate some crowd control and move in and out of fights safely.
Serylda’s Grudge: Often a 3rd or 4th item, this one shines when there’s not much crowd control to worry about.
Serpent’s Fang: If the enemy team boasts champions like Lulu, Karma, Sona, or Sett who love using shields, Serpent’s Fang is your answer.
So, there you have it, a shopping list that’ll make Zed the master of the shadows in no time.
Best Lanes and Roles for Champion
Playing Zed in the mid-lane is an absolute blast. However, it’s worth noting that Zed demands more skill and finesse to achieve the same damage output that some other assassins can dish out with a single button press. His all-in playstyle is incredibly satisfying, especially when you’re eliminating the enemy backline while effortlessly juking around with your shadow.
But beware! If you’re up against a mage who rushes Seeker’s Armguard or you’re facing a tank or bruiser stacking armor, things can get a bit tricky. In those situations, you might find yourself in a tough spot.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Now, let’s talk matchups. Zed excels against champions like Veigar and LeBlanc when played in the middle lane. However, he faces his worst nightmares when going up against Sylas and Rumble. So, be wise in choosing your battles on the mid-lane battlefield.
Price of this Champion in 2023
Now, let’s talk about the price of acquiring this elusive champion in 2023. Zed, the master of shadows, can be yours for 1350 Blue Essence or 585 Riot Points. So, whether you prefer grinding for blue essence or are willing to splash some RP, Zed’s shadowy prowess is within your reach.
Okay, let’s get real here. Zed is the kind of champion that can make your heart race and your palms sweaty. He’s got in-combat mobility and target access that’s simply unmatched. Personally, I’ve seen some high-level Zed players like OnZed (a Korean Challenger Zed player) opt for taking teleport and playing for the late game.
Contrary to popular belief, Zed’s early game isn’t as strong as you might think, especially post-durability patches. Scaling is the name of the game. For runes, Conqueror (with PoM, Alacrity, and Last Stand) is the go-to choice. In the secondary runes department, Inspiration with Free Boots and Futures Market is the standard, but you can adapt to defensive runes like Bone Plating against champions like Fizz or Second Wind against pesky ranged mages with relentless harass.
When it comes to building items, start with Ravenous Hydra, followed by Black Cleaver, Duskblade/Edge of Night, or a situational item like Serpent’s Fang. This build brings in loads of ability haste, armor reduction, and AOE damage.
What sets Zed apart is his incredible wave-clearing abilities and split-pushing potential, thanks to his high mobility. Taking teleport also covers one of his traditional weaknesses, allowing you to join team fights on demand.
In a nutshell, Zed is a versatile assassin who can move in and out of fights, deal with both tanks and squishies, and provide excellent wave control. So, if you’re looking to master the art of shadows, Zed might just be your perfect pick.
Champion’s tricks and interesting facts
Now, let’s delve into some intriguing tidbits about Zed:
- Zed and Shen trained together in the Kinkou Order, and their rivalry turned into a complex relationship. Kusho, their mentor, saw Zed’s potential and chose him as his successor, straining the bonds between Zed and Shen.
- They once teamed up to capture the notorious Khada Jhin, but the investigation traumatized all three of them, and Kusho spared Jhin’s life, which deeply troubled Zed.
- Zed’s resentment toward Kusho pushed him to embrace the shadow arts and establish the Order of Shadow, aiming to abolish the old ways of balance.
- Despite their animosity, Zed informed Shen about Jhin’s release, showing that their complicated relationship still had traces of brotherhood.
- Zed harbored feelings for Yevnai, Shen’s fiancée, which added more layers to their strained relationship.
- Shen and Yevnai’s engagement was called off after Zed’s supposed murder of Kusho.
- Zed has a burning desire to eliminate Gangplank for ransacking the Temple of the Jagged Knife.
- Zed and his order, along with the Navori Brotherhood, are considered extremists who believe that Ionia’s magic should be used without restraint.
- The Brotherhood was once allies with the Kinkou Order but became enemies after Zed’s betrayal.
- Both Rakan and Xayah had encounters with Zed and his ninja clan while trying to save a grove from losing its natural magic.
- Akali seeks revenge against Zed for his actions against the Kinkou Order, including the supposed death of her father, Tahno.
- Zed, along with Shen, saved Akali when she was captured by Jhin.
- Save your energy and spell cooldowns until you use your ultimate to maximize Death Mark’s damage.
- Double-tapping Living Shadow will teleport Zed immediately to his shadow for rapid escapes.
- Placing a Living Shadow before using Death Mark can provide Zed with a safe escape route during intense combat.
Best guide for Zed 2023
If you’re looking to sharpen your skills and dominate with Zed in 2023, I highly recommend checking out this simple yet incredibly useful guide for our shadowy champion in the mid-lane: Latest Zed Guide.
Top Zed Skins
Now, let’s rank Zed’s skins from weakest to strongest. We’ve got quite the spectrum here:
- SKT T1 Zed: Often dubbed “McDonalds Zed,” this skin falls short with its lackluster model and absence of new animations.
- PROJECT: Zed: While once a standout, it now feels a bit dated compared to newer releases, lacking the finesse of more recent skins.
- Death Sworn Zed: This one divides opinions due to significant changes, like replacing shurikens with swords, which impacts the character’s essence.
- Championship Zed: It plays it safe with a familiar design but shines with its memorable backing animation, staying true to Zed’s essence.
- PsyOps Zed: This skin is a mixed bag, with striking animations but deviating a bit too far from Zed’s core aesthetic, leading to some love-hate relationships.
- Shockblade Zed: Despite its age, it impresses with its ninja-focused character model and distinct thunderous sound effects.
- Debonair Zed: Striking a balance between class and terror, this skin provides confidence and amusement.
- Galaxy Slayer Zed: Emerging as the pinnacle, this skin seamlessly blends horror, references, unique emotes, and a smoother design, enhancing the base model’s appeal. It’s the top choice for Zed mains.
So, there you have it, the ultimate rundown of Zed’s skins. Whether you prefer style or substance, there’s something for every Zed enthusiast out there.
And that’s a wrap, fellow gamers! Now go forth and conquer the Rift with Zed’s shadowy might. Until next time, keep gaming, and may your shadows never fade!
Who is Zed, and when was he released?
Zed is a high-energy assassin in League of Legends, known for his shadowy abilities. He was released on November 13, 2012.
What are Zed’s standout abilities?
Zed’s abilities include a passive called “Contempt for the Weak,” and skills like “Razor Shuriken,” “Living Shadow,” “Shadow Slash,” and his ultimate, “Death Mark.”
What are the best items for Zed in 2023?
Zed’s core items include Duskblade of Draktharr, Ravenous Hydra, Black Cleaver, and others. It’s essential to adapt your item build based on the game situation.
Where is the best lane for Zed, and who are his favorable/unfavorable matchups?
Zed shines in the mid-lane but requires finesse to succeed. He performs well against champions like Veigar and LeBlanc but struggles against Sylas and Rumble.
What are some interesting facts about Zed’s lore and gameplay?
Zed’s lore involves a complex relationship with Shen, his former ally. He seeks to abolish the old ways of balance in Ionia and has encounters with champions like Akali, Rakan, Xayah, and Jhin. Tips for maximizing Zed’s abilities and the top-ranked skins for him are also explored.