Hey there, fellow gamers! Today, we’re diving into the high seas of League of Legends to talk about a true legend of the game – Gangplank. This swashbuckling champion has been around since 2009 and is still making waves. But why am I so excited to review this champion? Well, picture this: a pirate with a sword, an epic ultimate ability, and the power to set enemies on fire. If that doesn’t get your gamer heart racing, I don’t know what will!
In the world of League of Legends, Gangplank is a name that sends shivers down the spines of sailors and landlubbers alike. Once the ruthless ruler of Bilgewater, this Specialist in the Top lane has lost his throne but not his thirst for power. Armed with a pistol, cutlass, and barrels of gunpowder, Gangplank is on a mission to reclaim his city, even if it means bathing it in blood once more.
Here’s an interesting tidbit – Gangplank and Illaoi used to be an item, but like many relationships, they parted ways. The Kraken Priestess, Illaoi, played a role in getting Gangplank back on his feet and rallying support for him to retake Bilgewater. It’s a love story gone sour, and it leads to epic battles on the Rift.
Let’s break down Gangplank’s abilities:
- Passive – Trial by Fire: Gangplank’s melee strikes set his foes ablaze. Talk about hot combat!
- Q – Parrrley: This ability lets Gangplank shoot his target, plundering gold for each enemy he takes down. Who doesn’t love some extra loot?
- W – Remove Scurvy: Gangplank munches on citrus to cure crowd control effects and restore his health. Talk about a quick vitamin boost!
- E – Powder Keg: Gangplank plants explosive powder kegs that can be detonated, spreading damage and slowing enemies. Boom, baby!
- R – Cannon Barrage: Gangplank summons a naval bombardment, causing chaos by slowing and damaging his enemies. It’s like a pirate artillery strike!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Champion
Now, let’s weigh the pros and cons of playing Gangplank, in my humble opinion, of course.
- Gangplank brings lots of AOE damage to the table.
- His mobility is off the charts.
- That global ult can turn the tide of a battle.
- True damage means he shreds through armor.
- He’s incredibly fun to play, perfect for those flashy plays.
- Gangplank is a gold-making machine.
- Great wave clear keeps those lanes under control.
- The satisfaction of mastering him is unmatched.
- Late-game scaling that makes you a powerhouse.
- He’s a bit on the squishy side.
- Early game can be rough; he needs time to scale.
- Gangplank’s not the easiest champion to master.
- Some matchups can be a real nightmare (looking at you, Riven).
- Farming is crucial; he needs lots of CS.
- Early game mana struggles can be a headache.
- He’s one of the toughest champs to master in the game.
Best Items for Gangplank
Now, let’s talk gear. Here are some of the best items to make Gangplank shine:
Trinity Force: A versatile choice that gives Gangplank the stats he craves. It’s like his trusty cutlass.
Galeforce: My personal favorite AD mythic for Gangplank. It helps secure kills and doubles as an escape tool.
Prowler’s Claw: Ideal for a one-shot build. Use it to initiate or finish off squishy foes.
Liandry’s Anguish: If you’re facing tanky enemies, this item is your best friend. It pairs well with Demonic Embrace for sustained damage.
Best Lanes and Roles for Champion
Top lane is where Gangplank shines, but it’s not a walk in the park. You need wave control skills and map awareness. There are fantastic YouTube guides with visuals that can teach you more than I can in this short space.
Mid lane Gangplank is a bit riskier, so proceed with caution. Wave manipulation is trickier due to the shorter lane and potential mage opponents like Syndra or Orianna.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Now, let’s talk about matchups. Gangplank isn’t just a solo act; he has allies and foes on the Rift.
When it comes to champions, Gangplank tends to dominate against Akali and Warwick in the top lane. But be wary of Akshan and Quinn; they’re his kryptonite, and it’s best to steer clear of them.
Price of this Champion in 2023
Before you decide to set sail with Gangplank, you might be wondering how much he costs. In 2023, Gangplank comes with a price tag of 3150 Blue Essence or 790 Riot Points.
As a dedicated Gangplank player, I have to say that this champion offers a thrilling and challenging gaming experience. Mastering his barrel mechanics to create explosive plays is incredibly satisfying. However, there are a few aspects that I think could use some tweaks.
I’ve noticed that Gangplank’s barrel placement in bushes can catch opponents off guard with little room for counterplay. It might be fairer to introduce some counterplay options in these scenarios, similar to other champions with hidden elements in their kits.
Overall, Gangplank’s win rate seems balanced in the current meta, indicating that he’s not overly dominant or weak. His complexity and high skill ceiling make him a rewarding choice for those willing to invest time in honing their skills. Still, I believe some adjustments, such as turning his Q ability into a skillshot or modifying his damage scaling, could encourage more strategic gameplay.
Best Guide for Gangplank in 2023
For those eager to embark on a journey with Gangplank, I highly recommend checking out this comprehensive guide for 2023: Gangplank One-Shot King Guide. It’s a treasure trove of tips and strategies to help you become a true pirate legend on the Rift.
Best Skins for this Gangplank
Now, let’s talk about style. Gangplank has quite the wardrobe, and here’s my take on some of his best skins:
- Sailor Gangplank: Feels like a downgrade from the base skin, not much different.
- Captain Gangplank: It’s essentially the base skin with minor changes, not very exciting.
- Sultan Gangplank: Has a badass look, but it replaces cannons with vases, which might not be everyone’s cup of tea.
- Toy Soldier Gangplank: A fun and goofy skin with attention to detail in animations, perfect for some lighthearted gameplay.
- Minuteman Gangplank: A classic, clear design that suits the captain theme well, a safe bet.
- Pool Party Gangplank: Laid back style with water-themed animations and unique touches, great for some summer fun.
- Dreadnova Gangplank: High-tech robot pirate look, stylish and well-designed, perfect for those futuristic vibes.
- FPX Gangplank: Futuristic pirate theme with impressive animations, especially with the Elite chroma. Definitely stands out.
- Special Forces Gangplank: Realistic and detailed skin with grounded animations, for those who like a more serious look.
- Gangplank the Betrayer: Tied to the lore, impressive character model, and stunning passive particles. It’s a visual feast.
- Spooky Gangplank: A fun and classic skin, perfect for enjoying games as a pirate during spooky season.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Before we wrap up, here are some fun tidbits about Gangplank:
- During development, he was simply called “Pirate” or “Rogal Cheastbeard.”
- Gangplank’s name is a nod to the real-world device used for disembarking ships.
- He shares his voice actor with Heimerdinger and Taric, bringing his character to life.
- The three “R’s” in “Parrrley” reference the pop culture pirate style and Gangplank’s ruthless negotiation tactics.
- “Remove Scurvy” is a cheeky nod to the real-world disease of scurvy, and eating citrus in-game helps “remove” it.
- Auto-attacking your Powder Kegs reduces their health by 1, making them explode faster for maximum damage.
- Keep your eyes on the minimap and be ready to unleash your ultimate, Cannon Barrage, to assist your teammates in securing kills.
In conclusion, Gangplank is a captivating champion with a rich lore, versatile abilities, and a high skill ceiling. Whether you’re a seasoned pirate or just setting sail, mastering Gangplank can be a rewarding journey. So, hoist your sails, summon the Kraken, and conquer the Rift with the Saltwater Scourge!
Who is Gangplank in League of Legends?
Gangplank is a pirate champion known for his swashbuckling style, versatile abilities, and a quest to reclaim his throne in the city of Bilgewater.
What are Gangplank’s key abilities?
His abilities include Trial by Fire (passive), Parrrley (Q), Remove Scurvy (W), Powder Keg (E), and Cannon Barrage (R).
What are the pros and cons of playing Gangplank?
Pros include high damage, mobility, and a game-changing ultimate ability, while cons involve being squishy early on and having challenging matchups.
What are the best items for Gangplank in 2023?
Recommended items include Trinity Force, Galeforce, Prowler’s Claw, and Liandry’s Anguish for various playstyles.
Where is Gangplank typically played, and who are his best and worst matchups?
Gangplank is best suited for the top lane, can be played in the mid lane with caution, and excels against champions like Akali and Warwick but struggles against Akshan and Quinn.