Hey there, fellow gamers! Today, we’re diving into the world of League of Legends to explore the versatile and explosive champion, Gragas. Gragas, the brewmaster extraordinaire, has been raising a ruckus on the Rift since his release on February 2, 2010. He’s classified as a Tank and primarily dominates the Jungle position, making him a force to be reckoned with. So, why am I reviewing this barrel-tossing brawler, you ask? Well, even though I’m not a die-hard Gragas main, I’ve racked up plenty of experience playing this brew-loving behemoth over the seasons.
Equal parts jolly and imposing, Gragas is a massive, rowdy brewmaster on a quest for the perfect pint of ale. Hailing from parts unknown, he now searches for rare ingredients across the Freljord, trying each recipe as he goes. Often intoxicated and extremely impulsive, he’s legendary for the brawls he starts, which usually end in all-night parties and widespread property damage. Gragas is the life of the party, and you can count on any appearance from him to foreshadow drinking and destruction—in that order. Despite his rowdiness, he can be friendly when sharing his ale.
Let’s break down Gragas’ abilities:
Passive – Happy Hour: Gragas periodically heals upon using a skill.
Q – Barrel Roll: Gragas rolls his cask to a location, which can be activated to explode or will explode on its own after 4 seconds. The potency of the explosion increases over time. Enemies struck by the blast have their Move Speed slowed.
W – Drunken Rage: Gragas guzzles down brew from his cask for 1 second. After finishing, he becomes drunkenly empowered, dealing magic damage to all nearby enemies on his next basic attack and reducing damage received.
E – Body Slam: Gragas charges to a location and collides with the first enemy unit he comes across, dealing damage to all nearby enemy units and stunning them.
R – Explosive Cask: Gragas hurls his cask to a location, dealing damage and knocking back enemies caught in the blast radius.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Champion
- Built-in sustain
- Scales extremely well with AP
- Can disrupt enemy carries
- Good waveclear after a few points in Q
- Excellent peel for your teammates
- A formidable teamfighter
- Sets up ganks effectively for your jungler
- Vulnerable to MR stacking
- Predictable engages
- Struggles if behind early
- Low damage and high cooldowns early game
- Risky against bruisers
- Ultimate has a lengthy travel time
- Combos can be dodged with tenacity and escapes
Best Items for Gragas
Everfrost is a top pick for Gragas, offering mana, HP, and a versatile active. Lost Chapter is a must in the early game for a massive mana pool. The HP components make his healing stronger, and Everfrost’s active can be used defensively or aggressively for deadly combos.
Liandry’s Anguish is ideal against HP stackers, providing mana via Lost Chapter and potent poke against squishy foes. However, it lacks HP, making you squishier in lane.
Luden’s Tempest shines in squishy matchups, best suited for mid lane with Electrocute and Ignite for burst and lane dominance. Keep in mind it offers less HP and CDR.
Hextech Rocketbelt is the jungle’s choice, offering an extra dash for positioning but sacrificing a chunk of mana. Consider this for mid lane if you’re feeling adventurous.
Night Harvester is a niche pick with decent burst and jungle potential, but it lacks mana. It’s somewhat fallen out of favor due to Gragas’ mana nerfs.
Best Lanes and Roles for Gragas
Gragas is a champion of many talents, and his versatility shines in various lanes and roles.
- Top Lane: Gragas can disrupt and disengage effectively in the top lane. While he may struggle against certain matchups like Dr. Mundo, his goal here is to disrupt enemy champions and create opportunities for his team.
- Mid Lane: In the mid lane, Gragas leans towards a burst playstyle. His main objective is to blow up the enemy backline when the opportunity arises. Pair him with Electrocute and Ignite for maximum damage output.
- Jungle: This is where Gragas truly thrives. His ganking potential is off the charts, and his ability to initiate fights and control objectives makes him a strong jungler. I highly recommend picking him for this role as it offers the most value.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Now, let’s talk matchups. Gragas has some interesting stats when it comes to champion counters.
- Wins Against: Gragas tends to come out on top against champions like Wukong and Zed. His disruptive abilities and crowd control give him the upper hand in these matchups.
- Struggles Against: On the flip side, champions like Evelynn and Udyr can give Gragas a hard time. Their playstyles and abilities can be a real headache for our brewmaster, so it’s best to avoid facing them.
Price of this Champion in 2023
As of 2023, Gragas is available for purchase in the League of Legends store for 3150 Blue Essence or 790 Riot Points.
Gragas is a true Swiss Army knife of a champion, excelling in multiple roles and offering high damage and utility. His crowd control and initiation potential can turn the tide of battles, making him a valuable asset when ahead. However, mastering Gragas requires practice and knowledge of his deadly combos. Spend some quality time in the practice tool to get comfortable with his abilities, and you’ll become a force to be reckoned with on the Rift.
Best Guide for Gragas in 2023
If you’re looking for an in-depth guide on how to unleash Gragas’ full potential, check out this comprehensive guide: Gragas Guide.
Best Skins for Gragas
Gragas has a variety of skins to choose from, each with its own unique flair:
- Scuba Gragas: A hilarious skin featuring Gragas in a wetsuit, though it doesn’t offer new animations.
- Gragas Caskbreaker: This skin transforms Gragas into a magical dwarf, but its theme may not be as apparent in-game.
- Hillbilly Gragas: A simple and rustic skin with overalls and a hat, but it doesn’t bring any animation changes.
- Santa Gragas: A festive skin perfect for the holiday season, complete with Santa Gragas carrying a sack of wine barrels.
- Fnatic Gragas: An esports-themed skin that gives Gragas a gamer’s makeover, complete with a trophy.
- Vandal Gragas: A badass skin featuring Gragas in a leather jacket with brass knuckles and Pyke’s face on his back.
- Warden Gragas: This skin offers impressive animations, although Gragas’ tiny wings can be seen as both amusing and badass.
- Oktoberfest Gragas: A sensible choice for Oktoberfest celebrations with a jolly dance animation.
- Arctic Ops Gragas: This skin sports an Arctic theme, complete with a jetpack, camo jacket, and a diving animation.
- Gragas, Esq.: Combining humor and badassery, this skin turns Gragas into a Wall Street fat cat.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Here are some fun facts about Gragas:
- Gragas is voiced by J.S. Gilbert, who also voices several other champions, including Cho’Gath, Dr. Mundo, Sion, Udyr, and Spirit Guard Udyr.
- Gragas used to be the only melee mage in the game until Sylas joined the ranks.
- His first title was ‘the Cask Master’ but was changed to avoid confusion with ‘the Card Master.’
- Gragas is known for his early-game dominance in the jungle, so don’t be afraid to gank frequently to get your lanes ahead.
- When using his Explosive Cask, aim it just behind the enemy to ensure they get knocked forward for maximum disruption.
- Flanking with Gragas can be devastating. Position yourself to knock enemies into your teammates during team fights.
So, there you have it, folks—a deep dive into the explosive world of Gragas. Whether you’re tossing barrels in the jungle, disrupting the top lane, or creating chaos mid, Gragas has the versatility to keep you entertained on the Rift. So, grab your keg and let the party begin!
What are Gragas’ main strengths as a champion?
Gragas excels in providing built-in sustain, scaling well with Ability Power (AP), disrupting enemy carries, and serving as a formidable teamfighter with good peel for teammates.
What are the best item choices for Gragas in 2023?
Some top item choices for Gragas in 2023 include Everfrost for its versatility, Lost Chapter for early mana, Liandry’s Anguish for HP stackers, and Luden’s Tempest for burst. Hextech Rocketbelt is preferred for jungle.
In which lanes and roles can Gragas be played effectively?
Gragas is versatile and can be played in multiple lanes and roles. He can be a disruptor in top lane, a burst mage in mid lane, but he truly thrives as a jungler with strong ganking potential.
Who are some champions that Gragas tends to do well against and struggle against?
Gragas tends to do well against champions like Wukong and Zed but may struggle against champions like Evelynn and Udyr due to their playstyles and abilities.
What are some interesting facts and tips about Gragas as a champion?
Gragas is voiced by J.S. Gilbert, used to be the only melee mage in the game, was originally named ‘the Cask Master,’ and is known for early-game dominance in the jungle. When using his Explosive Cask, aim it just behind the enemy for maximum disruption, and flanking with Gragas can be devastating in team fights.