Master Yi Review
Welcome to the realm of League of Legends, where champions and legends collide. Today, I’m diving into the world of Master Yi, the Wuju Bladesman. This formidable champion was released on February 21, 2009, and has undergone some changes, last landing in version 13.10. You’ll often find him in the role of a Skirmisher, wreaking havoc in the jungle. But why am I so eager to review this champion, you ask? Well, it’s simple – Master Yi is a total beast. He’s not just about slashing his way through battles; he’s a strategic mastermind, excelling in counterganking and playing it smart with the fog of war.
Master Yi’s story is as intriguing as his in-game prowess. He’s a master of the Wuju style, one of the last practitioners alive. He’s dedicated his life to upholding the legacy of his people. Using the Seven Lenses of Insight, he scrutinizes potential disciples to identify the worthiest among them. This lore adds depth and mystery to Master Yi’s character, making him more than just a bladesman.
Now, let’s dive into the heart of Master Yi’s strength: his abilities.
- Double Strike (Passive): Master Yi delivers two consecutive strikes every few basic attacks, ensuring he dishes out pain at lightning speed.
- Alpha Strike (Q): Master Yi teleports across the battlefield at breakneck speed, damaging multiple foes in his path. Plus, he becomes untargetable during the move. If that wasn’t enough, this strike can also critically hit and deals bonus damage to monsters. Basic attacks help reduce the cooldown.
- Meditate (W): In the heat of battle, Master Yi rejuvenates his body by focusing his mind, restoring health and taking reduced damage. While channeling, he gains stacks of Double Strike and pauses the remaining duration on Wuju Style and Highlander.
- Wuju Style (E): This ability bestows bonus true damage on Master Yi’s basic attacks, making him a formidable duelist.
- Highlander (R): With unmatched agility, Master Yi temporarily increases his move and attack speed, while also rendering himself immune to all slowing effects. If he scores a kill or assist while Highlander is active, its duration extends. And as a cherry on top, this ability passively reduces the cooldown of his other abilities when he scores kills or assists.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Master Yi
- Easy to pick up and play.
- A master at snowballing, he can single-handedly turn the tides of a game.
- The quintessential “1v9” champion; he can carry his team to victory.
- Exceptional at controlling objectives.
- A formidable duelist, able to shred any target, regardless of their tankiness.
- Don’t underestimate his countergank potential.
- If you fall behind, Master Yi becomes nearly useless.
- You need to stay ahead in the gold curve to truly unleash his strength.
- Vulnerable to crowd control (CC), burst damage, and invisibility.
- Lacks the ability to set up ganks for teammates.
- The early game can be challenging; he might struggle to make an impact.
Best Items for Master Yi
Now, let’s gear up our Wuju Bladesman with the best equipment in town:
Duskblade of Draktharr: This item is the cornerstone of Master Yi’s build. The stats are incredible, but the real gem is the Duskblade’s stealth effect after a kill or assist. Without it, the lethality route is often less effective.
Kraken Slayer: A staple in the on-hit build, it’s been Master Yi’s best mythic item for years. The extra true damage every third auto pairs beautifully with his passive.
Guinsoo’s Rageblade: Currently, the top choice for DPS, even though the build path isn’t ideal. The synergy between the passive of Rageblade and Master Yi’s own is remarkable.
Blade of the Ruined King: This item’s on-hit effect syncs perfectly with Master Yi’s passive, and it complements the Guinsoo’s Rageblade build.
Wit’s End: A top-tier on-hit item, especially against heavy AP teams. Consider it as your third or fourth item if the enemy stacks AP champions.
Master Yi isn’t just about slashing his foes; he’s a strategic mastermind, excelling in counterganking and playing it smart with the fog of war.
Best Lanes and Roles for Master Yi
Beginner junglers looking to rack up those pentakills will find Master Yi their ideal match. Though his early jungle clears might leave him with low health, the promise of dominating the late game is worth it.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Master Yi dominates against champions like Zed and Trundle but struggles against the likes of Rammus and Zac. Avoid these matchups for a smoother ride.
Price of this Champion in 2023
In 2023, Master Yi is quite the budget-friendly choice for aspiring summoners. He’ll set you back 450 Blue Essence (BE) or 260 Riot Points (RP). For the incredible power he brings to the table, that’s a steal.
Now, let’s talk about my personal take on this champion. Master Yi is the definition of a hypercarry, scaling beautifully with gold. To unlock his true potential, you’ll need to snag the holy trinity of items – Blade of the Ruined King, Guinsoo’s Rageblade, and Kraken Slayer. With each item you acquire, you’ll feel the power surge.
But here’s the catch: Yi is only as strong as the gold difference between him and his opponents. The goal isn’t just to farm until you amass your items; it’s to create a gold lead by any means necessary. You need to be perpetually ahead of the enemy team to become the hypercarry you dream of.
Best Guide for Master Yi in 2023
To guide you on your journey with Master Yi, I’ve found an exceptional resource for you:The Best Master Yi Guide for 2023. This guide covers everything you need to know, from runes to item builds and gameplay tips.
Best Skins for Master Yi
Now, for the fun part – choosing the perfect look for your Master Yi. Here’s a quick rundown of some of his skins:
- Ionia Master Yi: This early skin doesn’t offer new particles or animations and might not be the best value for its price compared to newer options.
- Samurai Yi: Though lacking new particles and animations, it perfectly captures the samurai theme with cool armor, a katana, and traditional sandals.
- Headhunter Master Yi: Similar to Ionia Master Yi, it’s somewhat overpriced, but it boasts a cool sci-fi armor and a predator vibe.
- Assassin Master Yi: A budget-friendly choice with impactful character model changes, although it can’t compete with newer, more elaborate skins.
- Debonair Master Yi: This skin feels somewhat out of place and fails to maintain the original character’s vibe despite impressive animations.
- PsyOps Master Yi: It’s flashy and stylish, but the skin’s brightness can be overwhelming, potentially causing visual discomfort.
- Chosen Master Yi: A fun and engaging skin with a lightsaber sword and signature sounds, enhancing the in-game experience.
- PROJECT: Yi: This legendary skin comes with unique features, though it can feel a bit clunky at times. It offers a cool look and animations.
- Blood Moon Master Yi: Embracing the Blood Moon aesthetic, it adds magical abilities and a dramatic backing animation, making it ideal for an edgier look.
- Cosmic Blade Master Yi: This skin portrays a powerful and dangerous vibe, transforming Master Yi into a universal being with impactful animations.
- Snow Man Yi: Surprisingly impressive, it features a charming character model, beautiful ability animations, and an adorable backing animation.
- Eternal Sword Yi: Balanced and captivating, it offers beautiful animations and captures the essence of Master Yi, despite removing his goggles.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Before I wrap up, here are some intriguing tidbits about Master Yi:
- Did you know that Master Yi’s name is a clever play on the word “mastery”?
- His goggles and sword can both be spotted in the game’s Mac Version trailer.
- Master Yi boasts the highest base movement speed in the game at 355.
- His Recall animation pays homage to Junpei Iori’s victory pose in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.
- And when he breaks into a dance, Master Yi references the iconic “Running Man” dance.
So there you have it, young summoners and fellow gamers. Master Yi, the Wuju Bladesman, is a force to be reckoned with. Whether you’re a fan of his dueling prowess, his intriguing lore, or his dazzling array of skins, there’s something for everyone in the world of Master Yi. Dive into the rift and become a true Wuju master!
Who is Master Yi in League of Legends?
Master Yi is a champion in League of Legends known for his Wuju Bladesman lore and formidable abilities. He excels as a jungler and is a skilled duelist and counter-ganker.
What are Master Yi’s key abilities and playstyle?
Master Yi’s abilities include Double Strike (passive), Alpha Strike (Q), Meditate (W), Wuju Style (E), and Highlander (R). He’s known for his ability to snowball games and carry his team to victory, but he can be vulnerable if he falls behind in gold.
What are the best items for Master Yi in 2023?
Recommended items for Master Yi include Duskblade of Draktharr, Kraken Slayer, Guinsoo’s Rageblade, Blade of the Ruined King, and Wit’s End. These items enhance his damage and scaling.
What are Master Yi’s strengths and weaknesses?
Master Yi excels in snowballing, controlling objectives, and dueling, but he can be weak if he falls behind or faces crowd control and burst damage. His early game can be challenging.
How much does Master Yi cost in 2023, and what are some of his best skins?
In 2023, Master Yi costs 450 Blue Essence or 260 Riot Points. Some of his notable skins include Cosmic Blade Master Yi, PROJECT: Yi, and Blood Moon Master Yi, each offering unique aesthetics and animations.