Katarina, the high-energy champion of League of Legends, burst onto the scene in 2009. As an agile assassin classified in the Middle position, she’s got the moves to keep you on your toes. She’s an enticing choice for gamers looking to master a dynamic and explosive playstyle. So, why am I excited to delve into her world? Well, Katarina’s early game prowess and her knack for dishing out swift kills make her a champion I can’t wait to explore. Join me as we uncover what makes Katarina a legend on the Rift.
Decisive in judgment and lethal in combat, Katarina is a Noxian assassin of the highest caliber. As the eldest daughter of General Du Couteau, she quickly made her mark with swift kills against unsuspecting enemies. Yet, Katarina always fell short of her father’s approval. As a result, she developed her own ideals and embraced individual merit, striving to make a Noxus she believed in.
Behind her cold exterior, Katarina is an agile fighter with a keen sense of strategy, always ready to execute her duty with a whirlwind of serrated daggers. Interestingly, her personal code dictates how she handles her targets, based on their honor. She even exhibits a somewhat flirtatious personality when paired with Garen.
Let’s take a closer look at Katarina’s skills:
- Passive – Voracity: When an enemy champion dies that Katarina has recently damaged, her ability cooldowns are significantly reduced. Plus, she can pick up a Dagger to slash through nearby foes, dealing magic damage.
- Q – Bouncing Blade: Katarina throws a Dagger at her target, which then bounces to nearby enemies, creating chaos on the battlefield.
- W – Preparation: Katarina gains a burst of movement speed, tossing a Dagger into the air right above her.
- E – Shunpo: This ability allows Katarina to blink to a target, striking them if it’s an enemy or the nearest enemy otherwise.
- R – Death Lotus: When activated, Katarina transforms into a flurry of blades, dealing massive magic damage to the three nearest enemy champions. A true force to be reckoned with!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Champion
Now, let’s talk about what makes Katarina shine and where she might fall short.
- Extremely fun to play
- Outstanding scaling
- Insane mobility
- High mechanical skill-ceiling
- Highly rewarding when played correctly
- Incredibly strong when snowballing
- Very challenging to master mechanically
- Few favorable matchups
- Vulnerable to burst damage
- Susceptible to crowd control
- Mistakes can be easily punished
- Struggles to maintain high CS consistently
Best Items for Champion
Choosing the right items for Katarina is crucial to unlock her full potential:
Long Sword: Starting with this item is, in my opinion, the best choice. It provides the highest damage early on and can be sold for a reasonable price, allowing for easy snowballing. After your first recall, consider picking up a Dark Seal for additional damage and snowball potential.
Doran’s Blade: Opt for this item when facing aggressive matchups like Yasuo, Yone, or Diana. It offers strong starting damage and 2.5% omnivamp, keeping you healthy in skirmishes.
Dark Seal: This item is your go-to for easier matchups, such as Lux or Neeko. It allows you to snowball quickly, building your lead and dominance.
Doran’s Shield: When facing hard matchups like Tryndamere or Sion, this item can save your life. It provides the durability needed to survive those tough early-game fights.
Blasting Wand: Starting with this item can maximize your early damage output. Similar to Long Sword, it’s an excellent choice to build into, but don’t forget to grab a Dark Seal after your first recall for snowball potential.
Best Lanes and Roles for Katarina
Katarina’s playground is undoubtedly the mid lane. She thrives in this position, where her ability to solo carry games is nothing short of extraordinary. Secure one or two early kills, and you’ll quickly snowball, dominating your opponent and securing victory. It’s a thrilling experience to be the master of your fate on the Rift.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
Now, let’s delve into Katarina’s matchups. She excels in the mid lane against champions like Taliyah and Anivia. However, be cautious when facing Garen and Swain; they’re her worst nightmares, and it’s wise to avoid engaging with them.
Price of this Champion in 2023
As of 2023, Katarina is available for 3150 Blue Essence (BE) or 790 Riot Points (RP). If you’re eyeing this champion, you won’t have to break the bank to add her to your roster.
Speaking from my own experience, Katarina can be quite challenging to learn, especially if you’re not a seasoned player. It took me almost two years after her rework to truly grasp her mechanics and combos. However, the dedication is undoubtedly worth it and will eventually become second nature. If you’re up for the challenge, you can find a wealth of knowledge from Katarina mains on platforms like YouTube and Twitch. Personally, I learned the ropes from Katlife and Katevolved.
Katarina’s main strength lies in punishing enemies who waste crucial abilities. She capitalizes on their mistakes, which can turn the tide of battles in your favor.
Best Guide for Katarina in 2023
If you’re eager to master Katarina and unlock her full potential, I’d recommend checking out this fantastic guide for 2023:Complete Katarina Guide. It’s a comprehensive resource to help you become a formidable Katarina player.
Best Skins for this Champion
Now, let’s talk skins! Katarina has an array of skins available, each with its unique style. Here are some notable choices:
- Red Card Katarina (975 RP, Released: June 24th, 2010): This skin isn’t a fan favorite due to its wacky appearance and lack of animation changes, making Katarina seem out of character.
- High Command Katarina (750 RP, Released: February 22nd, 2011): While it looks cool in the splash art with a commander’s vibe, the in-game model feels more punk than a commander, lacking significant improvements over the base skin.
- Mercenary Katarina (520 RP, Released: November 20th, 2009): A nostalgic choice with a noticeable green jacket and white hair, staying true to Katarina’s assassin theme.
- Warring Kingdoms Katarina (975 RP, Released: February 10th, 2015): This skin subtly changes Katarina’s animations, focusing mainly on her daggers. Well-designed, but it doesn’t feel like a complete overhaul.
- Sandstorm Katarina (975 RP, Released: January 2nd, 2012): Despite its subpar splash art, this skin offers an Eastern look with detailed daggers and desert explorer aesthetics.
- Bilgewater Katarina (975 RP, Released: August 29th, 2010): A pirate-themed skin that stays true to its theme, featuring an eye-patch, captain’s hat, and a cool character model, even if the blades remain the same.
- Kitty Cat Katarina (975 RP, Released: October 19th, 2010): A fun and meme-worthy skin with a cat-themed outfit, cat ears, and a tail, although it doesn’t stay true to Katarina’s character.
- Slay Belle Katarina (975 RP, Released: December 14th, 2012): This Christmas-themed skin offers subtle animation changes, such as festive ult visuals and a jingling sound when using emotes.
- High Noon Katarina (1350 RP, Released: May 12th, 2022): With a unique aesthetic, this High Noon skin may not have the flashiest animations, leading to mixed opinions, but it’s a decent choice.
- Death Sworn Katarina (1350 RP, Released: October 25th, 2017): This skin offers a cool, blue look with updated abilities for those who prefer a less flashy overhaul.
- Battle Academia Katarina (1350 RP, Released: May 15th, 2019): Ideal for anime and Genshin Impact fans, this skin offers a schoolgirl aesthetic, though some find her Q animation less exciting.
- Battle Queen Katarina (1820 RP, Released: December 10th, 2020): A high-priced skin with numerous animations and voice lines, but it may not significantly stand out in actual gameplay.
- Blood Moon Katarina (1350 RP, Released: February 20th, 2020): Part of the beloved Blood Moon line, this skin provides a visually stunning overhaul with subtle animation changes, making it a top choice for many.
- Project Katarina (1350 RP, Released: August 1st, 2016): A safe bet with a futuristic theme, Project Katarina offers new sound effects and robotic voice lines, perfect for cyberpunk enthusiasts.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Now, here are some neat tidbits about Katarina:
- Katarina’s name comes from the Greek word Αἰκατερίνα/η (Akaterine).
- “Du Couteau,” her family name, is French for “of the knife.”
- She shares her namesake with Caitlyn and Kai’Sa.
- She may have been inspired by Katherina from “The Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare.
- “Shunpo” comes from Sino-Japanese 瞬歩, meaning “blink step.”
- You can spot a framed portrait of Katarina in the game’s Mac Version trailer.
- Katarina’s dance references Napoleon Dynamite, adding a touch of humor to her moves.
In team fights, remember to engage and use your ultimate, Death Lotus, once the enemy’s CC abilities are on cooldown. This ensures you can execute your combos without interruption. Also, try to bait out your opponent’s abilities before going in for a fight to make the trade more favorable and keep the upper hand.
If you can’t secure kills against your enemy laners, don’t hesitate to roam. Katarina is an excellent roamer and can pick up kills in side lanes, turning the game in your favor.
So there you have it, the world of Katarina, a high-risk, high-reward assassin in League of Legends. Whether you’re new to the game or a seasoned player, Katarina’s unique skill set and potential for solo dominance make her a champion worth mastering.
Who is Katarina in League of Legends?
Katarina is a high-energy assassin champion in League of Legends known for her swift kills and agility. She’s the daughter of General Du Couteau and has a unique playstyle that appeals to gamers.
What are Katarina’s abilities and strengths?
Katarina’s abilities include Voracity (her passive), Bouncing Blade, Preparation, Shunpo, and Death Lotus. She excels in the mid lane, has high mobility, and can snowball when played correctly.
What are the best items for Katarina?
Depending on the matchup, Katarina can start with items like Long Sword, Doran’s Blade, or Doran’s Shield. Dark Seal is a good choice for snowballing. Items should be chosen to suit the specific game circumstances.
What are Katarina’s strengths and weaknesses as a champion?
Katarina has a high skill ceiling and is rewarding when mastered. She excels in punishing enemy mistakes but is vulnerable to burst damage and crowd control. Maintaining high CS (creep score) can be a challenge.
What are Katarina’s best skins and where can I find a guide for her in 2023?
Some notable Katarina skins include Blood Moon, Project, and High Noon. For a comprehensive guide in 2023, you can check out Eriosun’s Complete Master Katarina Guide.