Hey there, fellow summoners! Today, we’re diving into the radiant world of Leona, the “Radiant Dawn,” a champion who’s been making a stellar impact on the League of Legends scene since her debut back in 2011. Leona is a bona fide tank, primarily played in the support role, and has a shimmering armor that’s as golden as her heart. So, why am I excited to review this champion, you ask? Well, because she’s simply cool. I mean, who doesn’t enjoy bringing the blazing sun into a heated battle on the Rift?
Leona’s lore is a gripping tale of devotion and honor. Imbued with the power of the sun, she’s a formidable warrior of the Solari, dedicated to protecting Mount Targon with her celestial might. Her backstory is rich in complexity, from her unwavering loyalty to her people to her complicated relationship with Diana, her former friend and lover, who embraced the power of the moon. The lore makes Leona a character worth exploring beyond her in-game abilities.
Leona’s abilities make her a formidable champion on the Rift:
- Passive – Sunlight: Damage from her spells afflicts enemies with Sunlight, which allied champions can use to deal additional magic damage.
- Q – Shield of Daybreak: This ability allows Leona to stun her target after her next basic attack, delivering bonus magic damage in the process.
- W – Eclipse: Leona raises her shield, gaining Damage Reduction, Armor, and Magic Resist. When this effect ends, it deals magic damage to nearby enemies.
- E – Zenith Blade: Leona projects a solar sword image, damaging all enemies in its path. The last champion hit is briefly immobilized, and Leona dashes to them.
- R – Solar Flare: Leona calls down a powerful beam of solar energy, dealing damage to enemies within an area. Those in the center are stunned, while those on the outside are slowed.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Leona
As for the pros and cons of picking Leona, there’s a lot to consider. On the bright side, she boasts a game-changing ultimate, solid backline access, and terrific crowd control for your team. Leona can shine in various team compositions, offers superb peeling and engaging tools, and excels as a roaming support. However, she’s not without her weaknesses. Leona struggles with sustain in lane, is prone to constant harass, and can be mana-intensive. Her ability animations are easy to spot, and she relies heavily on her team. Plus, there’s no simple escape button when things go south.
Best Items for Leona
Now, here’s where things get interesting. Leona can benefit from a variety of items, but some truly shine with her abilities.
Steel Shoulderguards: This is a top pick for Leona as a starter item. It boosts her auto-attack damage, making her a more formidable presence in combat.
Evenshroud: Grabbing Evenshroud is fantastic for increasing your resistance to physical and magical damage, particularly useful in matchups involving immobilization effects.
Heartsteel: This item scales your max health with each attack against your target, making you incredibly durable in team fights. A portion of your max health turns into a damaging tool against your enemies.
Iceborn Gauntlet: Iceborn Gauntlet is crucial for Leona, granting extra physical damage on her next auto attack and a slowing field that increases with health. It’s especially effective against champions like Morgana, Lux, Nautilus, or Amumu.
Locket of the Iron Solari: This item is an excellent supportive option, providing resistance to your allies and a shield that can be a lifesaver in tough situations.
Best Lanes and Roles for Leona
Now, Leona’s natural habitat is the support role, where she shines as a crowd control and peel specialist. However, why not experiment and take her to Top, Mid, or even the Jungle? Leona can be viable in all three lanes if you’re in the mood for something different.
Leona Top is an excellent choice when your team needs mixed damage, and you’ve already got plenty of tankiness covered. Her ability to engage and lock down her enemies can make her a disruptive force in the top lane.
Leona Jungle is another intriguing option. Her E, Zenith Blade, functions similarly to Lee Sin’s Q, offering some engaging gank potential. If you’re looking for a fresh take on the jungle, Leona might be your golden ticket to success.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
In the ever-changing League landscape, knowing your champion’s strengths and weaknesses is crucial. Leona excels against champions like Yuumi and Nautilus, with her crowd control and aggressive playstyle. However, she might find the going tough when facing off against Swain and Janna, who can counter her initiation and crowd control with their abilities. So, it’s best to steer clear of these matchups if you’re picking Leona.
Price of Leona in 2023
You might be wondering, how much does it cost to unlock this radiant champion in 2023? Well, the good news is, Leona is quite budget-friendly, priced at 450 Blue Essence or 260 Riot Points.
Now, let’s get to the heart of the matter – why choose Leona? Well, I can’t help but gush about her. Leona is a straightforward champion to pick up, and she’s an absolute blast to play. Not only does she provide your team with effective crowd control and set up picks for your carries, but she can also soak up damage like a sponge. Thanks to her W and Aftershock, she boasts insane sustain, both from AD and AP sources. Her passive, Sunlight, lets your teammates dish out additional damage for free! Leona is an all-in-one package that delivers stunning plays and unforgettable moments on the Rift.
Best Guide for Leona in 2023
If you’re eager to master Leona and become a powerhouse support, I’ve got a fantastic guide to share with you. Check out this comprehensive guide for Season 13: Leona Guide.
Best Skins for Leona
Leona has a variety of skins to choose from, and while some may not add much to her gameplay, others can certainly enhance her visual appeal. Let’s take a look:
- Defender Leona: While this skin doesn’t offer new animations or effects, it doesn’t do much to elevate Leona’s appearance.
- Barbecue Leona: Although the concept is amusing, the awkward animations make it less enjoyable.
- Valkyrie Leona: This skin is reasonably priced but lacks new effects or animations, making it a decent but unremarkable choice.
- Pool Party Leona: This iconic skin fits the beach theme but might underwhelm in terms of power and animations, particularly with an awkward backing animation.
- PROJECT: Leona: While well-detailed with futuristic elements, another Leona skin surpasses it, making it less appealing.
- DWG Leona: This skin’s blue aesthetic is well-executed, making it a solid choice, though the backing animation doesn’t quite match the theme.
- Iron Solari Leona: An upgrade from the base skin, this one gives Leona a more intimidating character model, making her feel like a powerful warrior.
- Debonair Leona: A surprising choice for Leona, this skin combines slim, detailed attire with a massive shield and sword, making her look both stylish and formidable.
- Battle Academia Leona: This well-detailed skin embraces a weeb theme with polished animations without being overly distracting.
- Solar Eclipse Leona/Lunar Eclipse Leona: These visually astonishing skins offer a complete transformation with new animations, voiceovers, and emotes, making them stand out.
- Mecha Kingdoms Leona: The robotic mecha aesthetic makes this skin feel incredibly powerful, with excellent character models and animations.
- High Noon Leona: This legendary skin surprises with a new voiceover, great particles, and a beautiful Western aesthetic, making it the top choice for Leona players.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Lastly, here are some cool tricks and facts about Leona:
- Leona’s dance move resembles ‘Shield Break’ by the Force Shielder from Cabal Online, adding a nice touch of nostalgia.
- Sunlight and Illumination may sound similar, but the key difference is who triggers them. Leona’s allies activate Sunlight, while Lux triggers Illumination with her basic attacks.
- Leona’s passive, Sunlight, deals one less damage to champions wearing sunglasses, like Vayne or champions with skin variants like Riot Graves and Surfer Singed. It’s all about that stylish eyewear!
- Did you know that the name Leona is derived from the Ancient Greek name Leon, which means “lion”? It’s a fitting name for a fierce warrior.
- Leona’s title, ‘the Radiant Dawn,’ could be a nod to the video game Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and the PIE Dawn Goddess, Hausos.
Here you have it, an in-depth look at Leona, her abilities, the best ways to play her, and even some fun skins to consider. Now, grab your sword and shield, and light up the Rift as this radiant champion!
Who is Leona in League of Legends?
Leona, the “Radiant Dawn,” is a tank champion primarily played in the support role. She’s known for her stunning abilities and her rich lore.
What are Leona’s key abilities?
Leona’s abilities include Sunlight (passive), Shield of Daybreak (Q), Eclipse (W), Zenith Blade (E), and Solar Flare (R), each offering crowd control and durability in battle.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing Leona?
Leona excels at crowd control and can engage effectively but struggles with sustain and mana management. She relies heavily on her team for success.
What are the best items for Leona in 2023?
Recommended items for Leona include Steel Shoulderguards, Evenshroud, Heartsteel, Iceborn Gauntlet, and Locket of the Iron Solari to enhance her support role.
Where can Leona be played, and what are her best skin options?
Leona is primarily played as a support but can also be viable in the top lane, mid lane, or jungle. Her best skins include Solar/Lunar Eclipse, Mecha Kingdoms, and High Noon for their unique themes and animations.