Welcome to the world of League of Legends, where champions clash in epic battles on the Summoner’s Rift. Today, we’re diving into the world of Alistar, a powerful and versatile champion. Alistar is a tanky support known for his crowd control abilities and adaptability in various roles. As a gamer who appreciates a strong frontline presence, I’ve had some great experiences with this bull-headed champion. In this article, we’ll explore Alistar’s lore, abilities, advantages, and disadvantages, as well as the best items, lanes, and roles for him. We’ll even delve into some champion picks and counter picks, check out his current price in 2023, and I’ll share my personal feedback on Alistar. So, saddle up and let’s dive into the world of this iconic champion.
Alistar’s story is one of resilience and revenge. This mighty warrior’s journey began when he sought vengeance for the loss of his clan at the hands of the Noxian empire. Enslaved and forced into the brutal life of a gladiator, Alistar’s unbreakable will kept him from becoming a mere beast. After breaking free from the chains of his oppressors, he now fights for the downtrodden and seeks to incite rebellion in Noxus. Beneath his imposing exterior, Alistar harbors a kind heart and a determination to find Ayelia, one of the few who showed him kindness during his trials. His rage, strength, and courage make him a formidable champion with a noble cause.
Alistar’s kit is what makes him a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield:
Passive – Triumphant Roar: Alistar charges his roar through stunning or displacing enemy champions or when nearby enemies meet their demise. When fully charged, he can heal himself and all nearby allied champions, making him a crucial support in team fights.
Q – Pulverize: Alistar smashes the ground, dealing damage to nearby enemies and tossing them into the air. This disruptive ability can turn the tide of a battle.
W – Headbutt: Alistar rams a target with his head, dealing damage and knocking the target back. It’s a great tool for isolating an enemy or peeling for your allies.
E – Trample: Alistar tramples nearby enemy units, ignoring unit collision and gaining stacks if he damages an enemy champion. At full stacks, Alistar’s next basic attack against an enemy champion deals additional magic damage and stuns them, adding more crowd control to his arsenal.
R – Unbreakable Will: Alistar lets out a wild roar, removing all crowd control effects on himself and reducing incoming physical and magical damage for the duration. This ultimate can make him nearly indestructible in team fights.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Champion
As a gamer who’s spent some quality time with Alistar, here’s my take on his strengths and weaknesses:
- Alistar is practically unkillable in a fight thanks to his ultimate’s damage reduction and his natural tankiness.
- He brings insane amounts of crowd control to the table, making him a valuable asset in team fights.
- Alistar excels at engaging, catching out-of-position enemies, and setting up fights.
- With his passive, he enjoys a nice amount of sustain in lane.
- Alistar’s gameplay is just plain fun, and his adaptability allows for various playstyles.
- Mistiming an engage can be punished easily by the enemy team.
- He doesn’t perform well in most matchups, particularly against champions with high mobility.
- Alistar’s main engage combo (W-Q) can be dodged by enemy dashes or canceled by hard crowd control.
- His abilities have relatively long cooldowns, which can leave him vulnerable in crucial moments.
Alistar’s predictability and reliance on teamwork make him a champion that rewards strategic play and good communication with your team.
Best Items for Alistar
Now, let’s talk about the gear that can elevate Alistar’s performance on the Rift.
Mercury’s Treads: If the enemy team packs a lot of crowd control or magic damage, swapping your boots to Mercury’s Treads can be a game-changer. These boots offer bonus magic resist and reduce the effectiveness of various crowd control effects.
Zeke’s Convergence: Zeke’s is a fantastic pick for Alistar. It provides armor, magic resist, ability haste, and extra mana. On immobilizing an enemy, it launches a missile from your allies’ attacks, dealing bonus magic damage. It adds another layer of utility to your kit.
Redemption: Redemption brings a valuable AoE heal to the table, filling in Alistar’s sustain gap. It also offers HP and Mana regen, making you a more enduring presence on the battlefield. The extra heal power synergizes perfectly with your passive, Triumphant Roar.
Locket of the Iron Solari: This item boosts your tankiness with 30 armor and 30 magic resist. It also provides a shield to your allies when activated and grants bonus armor and magic resist to nearby teammates. Additionally, it empowers other legendary items to increase passive bonus resistances.
Knight’s Vow: With extra HP, 25 armor, and ability haste, Knight’s Vow offers a well-rounded set of stats for Alistar. It allows you to redirect a portion of the damage your ally takes to yourself, making you a reliable protector in the heat of battle.
These items can help Alistar excel in his support role, offering the survivability and utility needed to dominate the game.
Best Lanes and Roles for Alistar
Alistar shines as a strong melee support, excelling in teamfight situations and locking down high-value targets. What sets him apart is his ability to engage multiple enemies, rather than just focusing on a single champion. This makes him a formidable presence in lane and during skirmishes on the Rift.
Champion Picks and Counter Picks
As you dive into the realm of Alistar, it’s important to understand how he fares against different champions. Here’s a glimpse of his strengths and weaknesses in lane:
Alistar is a champion who can dominate certain matchups while struggling against others. For instance, he excels against champions like Yuumi and Nautilus, where his crowd control and tankiness give him a significant edge in lane. However, he faces challenges against formidable foes like Brand and Vel’Koz, who can exploit his vulnerabilities. Facing these champions can be a tricky ordeal, so it’s wise to choose your battles carefully and adapt your strategy accordingly.
Price of this Champion in 2023
In 2023, Alistar remains an accessible option for players. With a user-friendly price point, he’s a budget-friendly choice for those looking to explore the support role. You can purchase this champion for 1350 BE and 585 Riot Points.
Having spent considerable time with Alistar, I can confidently say that he’s a champion who strikes a balance between being enjoyable and effective. Alistar doesn’t fall into the category of annoying champions but manages to maintain an exciting presence on the battlefield.
One standout feature of Alistar’s gameplay is his ultimate ability, which can be a game-changer when encountered by champions like Sylas. This adds an extra layer of depth to Alistar’s gameplay, requiring careful management and decision-making when facing him.
Alistar’s kit is straightforward and avoids complex mechanics. This simplicity is a breath of fresh air, as it provides a clear understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, making him a fair champion to play against. And let’s not forget the “Moo Cow” skin – a fan favorite that adds humor and charm to his character, making him stand out from the herd.
Best Guide for Alistar in 2023
If you’re looking to master Alistar in 2023, I’ve got just the guide for you. Check out this comprehensive guide on how to make the most out of this bull-headed champion: Alistar Guide. It’s packed with insights and strategies that can help you become a force to be reckoned with on the Rift.
Best Skins for Alistar
Alistar offers a range of skins, each with its own unique charm. Here’s a rundown of some of the most notable options:
- Matador Alistar: While considered overpriced for what it offers, this skin sports a distinctive jacket, even though it lacks new animations.
- Infernal Alistar: Featuring a cool splash art, this skin falls a bit short in-game, lacking new animations.
- Golden Alistar: Despite an underwhelming splash art, this skin surprises with its god-bull theme, offering a solid in-game experience.
- Hextech Alistar: This skin receives mixed reviews due to varying animation quality, a somewhat clunky model, and a high price.
- Black Alistar: A simple recolor, but it looks good in-game, boasts rarity, and carries prestige.
- Sweeper Alistar: Taking on a somewhat jokey theme with no new animations, it draws inspiration from football.
- Longhorn Alistar: Sporting a High Noon theme with no new animations, it delivers a cool cowboy look.
- Lunar Beast Alistar: Flaunting a flashy design with polished abilities, it’s perfect for those who crave visually impressive skins.
- Marauder Alistar: This dark armor-themed skin doesn’t offer new animations but comes at a reasonable price.
- SKT T1 Alistar: Dripped-out in-game model with subtle animations, it boasts an appealing and charismatic design.
- Conqueror Alistar: With a natural and badass design, slightly polished animations, it’s an attractive choice for fans of Alistar.
- Blackfrost Alistar: This skin makes you feel powerful with its demon-like appearance and impactful animations.
- Moo Cow Alistar: A beloved and hilarious skin with a cow-themed model and animations, known for its iconic emote spam.
Champion’s Tricks and Interesting Facts
Finally, let’s wrap up with some fun tidbits about Alistar:
- Alistar’s voice is provided by Harlan Hogan, adding character to this formidable champion.
- The name “Alistar” is an alternative form of “Alistair,” which is the Anglicized version of the Scottish Gaelic “Alasdair,” ultimately stemming from Ancient Greek, meaning “Defender.”
- During the Alpha Test, Alistar was simply known as the ‘Minotaur,’ reflecting his bull-like appearance.
- In the Ultra Rapid Fire game mode, Alistar was deemed overpowered and obnoxious, leading to his temporary disablement in non-custom games.
- When playing Alistar during the laning phase, it’s crucial to maintain close proximity to your ADC. Proper positioning can threaten enemy engages and set up opportunities for your team.
- Consider setting up “death bushes” before major objectives like Dragon or Baron spawns. Ambush enemies as they pass by with your Headbutt-W > Pulverize-Q combo to catch them off guard.
- In team fights, your primary role after engaging is to protect your ADC. Leaving them alone against the enemy frontline can be a grave mistake. Engage, then retreat to assist your ADC as they navigate the battle.
And there you have it, a comprehensive guide to Alistar, the indomitable bull of League of Legends. Whether you’re new to the game or a seasoned veteran, Alistar’s versatility and engaging gameplay make him a champion worth mastering on the Rift. So, gear up, charge forward, and let the Alistar experience begin!
Who is Alistar in League of Legends?
Alistar is a tanky support champion known for his crowd control abilities and adaptability. He has a compelling lore, seeking revenge against the Noxian empire.
What are Alistar’s key abilities and strengths?
Alistar’s abilities include a healing passive, crowd control, and damage reduction ultimate. His strengths lie in being unkillable in fights, offering strong crowd control, and excelling at engaging and catching enemies.
What are the recommended items for Alistar in 2023?
Recommended items for Alistar include Mercury’s Treads, Zeke’s Convergence, Redemption, Locket of the Iron Solari, and Knight’s Vow. These items enhance his tankiness and utility.
What are Alistar’s best lanes and roles?
Alistar is best suited as a melee support in the bottom lane. He excels in teamfight situations and can engage multiple enemies effectively.
Which champions does Alistar perform well against and struggle against in lane?
Alistar performs well against champions like Yuumi and Nautilus but struggles against formidable foes like Brand and Vel’Koz. Proper champion selection and strategy are important when playing as Alistar.